Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Introducing "The Bangkok Fives" guitar player Justin Sweeney.

     Let me say that  doing this interview was a true honor. I have been a fan of the band The Bangkok Five for 6 years or so now. They are an incredible Rock & Roll band from Los Angeles and have always put out records that I feel are quality. and inspirational. I had the chance to talk with Justin Sweeney the guitar player from The Bangkok Five last night. I have to say I have met him several times and he has always been a dude of great character.  If you read this Justin I really want thank you for taking time out to do this interview. It's an interesting interview and we cover some amazing topics, here it goes.



     Patrick (P) --So your band The Bangkok Five is honestly one of my favorite bands ever. You guys are such a talented rock and roll band. I would seriously put "Who's Gonna Take Us Alive" in my favorite 10 albums ever.You and Bobby are fantastic guitar players, Ray is a great drummer, and Nik is everything you could want in a true front man. In my opinion you should be a household name at this point. What is going on with you guys currently and what are the future plans?

     Justin Sweeney (JS) --Thanx Patrick! Haha Top 10.. That's All? Blah Jk!

     P- LOL

     JS--There's a lot going actually! Niks new band Breaking Arrows has been playing festivals in Japan! Ray's opening a recording studio in Brentwood! I foresee us writing some really gnarly shit once that place is up and running. I have a studio band called The Elevator Music Band. I write 99% of the music and Nik Frost sings. Jc Gariano (tb5 white witch producer) is about to start working on the record. We already tracked our single "The Saddest Music In The World." With Chris & Jesse from Hoobastank:)

     P--Awesome glad you guys are staying busy. I personally can't wait for new material. Breaking Arrows is so good. I have honestly listened to them a lot since they released that record.

     P--Last time I saw you was with Bullets and Octane
     
     JS--Those guys are cool dudes! Where? With Unwritten Law?
   
     P--Kansas City and yes
     
     JS--That was a fun tour. That was the first tour after Bobby joined out band playing guitar..
     
     P-- Yep, I remember that! What was the other guitar players name? He was with you when I saw you opening for Buckcherry
 
    JS--Yeh Brian Murphy! I just saw him a week ago for the first time in a few long years.. It was really Awesome to see em and see how happy he is!
     
     P- I hung out with him for a while at that show. He was a killer dude!
I remember being on the RV you had.
     
     JS-- Yeh he's cool for sure! True artist type.Haha Nice! That thing was badass! I fuckin lived out of that thing like a gypsy for a long time. Too long. Six months straight at one point in the beginning.

     P-- LOL

     JS-- I wouldn't mind lighting that thing on fire! Lolz




     P-- You are a huge Mike Patton fan if i remember right?

     JS-- Fuck Yeh! I'v been all Patton obsessed forever. It's annoying because everyone else in my band all thinks his music is just weird.. Like they don't get it. But my friends and I are All about it.
     
     P--He is awesome
     JS-- All my brother Johnny and I listened to growing up was Mr. Bungle and Ween!


     JS-- I have a funny Patton story..

     P--Do tell.....
     
     JS--Well my buddy John and I went to see Fantomas at the Troubadour right when their first record came out..
I was standing out front before the show started and John was laughing goin so who's this Mile Patton guy anyway.. and he kept saying it all laughing..
I said Mike Patton's some fucking Asshole that thinks he can sing!
John pointed next to me and Patton was standing right behind me staring a hole in my head.. Ha!
  
     P-- LoL that is incredible

     JS-- So weird dude haha
    
      P--I have never seen him live, bums be out. Patton and The Melvins I need to still see both
     
     JS- The Melvin's are hands down my favorite band! Seen em a few times here in Los Angeles.
     
     P--They are in my top 5 honestly, I listen to them daily. I just got the new cd, its awesome! 

    
      P-- Buzz is such a badass!
     
     JS-- How is it?
    
      P-- Dale may be the most underrated drummer ever. Its really good honestly, I like it. Different.
     
     JS-- Cool. That's what I love about the Melvin's is that you never really know what your gonna get inside a record. Just because it might have nine tracks doesn't mean there's isn't nineteen pieces of music in there!
   
 

    P-- How was touring with the cult?

    JS-- The Cult was opening for Metallica and the following year The Bangkok Five was opening for The Cult! So, it was Huge! For Me it was the first time I'd ever shared a stage let alone a dinner table with musicians that were already legends! I didn't really start throwing my picking hand up- way up above my head playing through songs until after I'd toured with The Cult. Billy Duffy's a rock God!

    P-- What was Ian like? He is a great front man. 

    JS-- Ian's like being around an old Indian that just wants to take in and reflect on all the beauty inside the forest but if you cross him he will tear your fucking head off.. 

    P-- That is exactly what my vision of him was to be honest. He is a amazing and I have always loved The Cult.

   JS-- Haha Yeh he has this Power in his voice.. There's no one else like him. He's like if David Bowie had teeth and claws like a Bear.

    P-- Well final questions.
    Favorite song by these artist-

     Melvins?

     JS-- Amazon! From the Maggot record. It's the heaviest shit I'v ever heard in my life haha...

     P-- Good choice! Favorite Mike Patton project?

     JS-- Adult Themes For Voice.

     P-- Right on! Favorite Bangkok Five song?

     JS-- Dead Lights.

     P-- That is one of my favorite as well. Well thanks so much for your time. Hopefully we can do another interview at some point in the future!

     JS-- Nice! All Good Patrick! Thank You for being so interested in my band! It's Rad that you dig all the good shit too like the Melvin's..
   

Check out The Bangkok Five at https://www.facebook.com/thebangkokfive.

Also check out their music on ITUNES today. You won't regret it.










No comments:

Post a Comment