Saturday, January 11, 2014

Derek DeSantis (Twisted Method, Ekotren, Makeshift Romeo)

     I was able to interview Derek DeSantis from Twisted Method and Makeshift Romeo fame today. It was honestly an honor just because he has been a inspiration to me as a player since I began playing bass. Enjoy everyone!



     Patrick Houtz (PH)---First of all thank you so much for taking the time do this interview Derek.
     
     Derek DeSantis (DD)---Happy to do it, Patrick.


     (PH)---Most people probably remember you as the bassist for Twisted Method, one of my favorite bands ever. What was it like getting signed so young and being successful so early on in your musical career? 

    (DD)---It was, by far, the most exciting thing to ever happen to me in my life!  From that point and the next few years, everything was one big roller-coaster ride.  I honestly didn't realize how good I had it; I was seeing places and meeting people I had only dreamed about, and getting to play with bands I idolized growing up.  

     (PH)---One of my favorite things about Twisted Method was that you had great material and also were lucky to have a real front man in a time where they were kind of fading away in my opinion. What was it like playing along side Tripp? 



     (DD)---Tripp's my buddy first, and was my bandmate second. It was like doing anything else with your best friends.  It was fun. He's just one of those dudes who is naturally talented; he can just go up there and sing his ass off like it's nothing.  Very charismatic, and that's why people loved TM.  You had a frontman that knew how to keep the crowd paying attention.  


     
     (PH)---Because I am a total gear dork, I was wondering what kind of basses and amps were you using on those early tours?

     
(DD)---Back in the TM days I had a Custom Yamaha RBX 5 string made out at YGD (Yamaha Guitar Development) in California.
    The rig itself was all Mesa/Boogie;  Mpulse 600 heads and Roadready 6x10 cabs.  These days I'm sporting a SansAmp RBI    Preamp, an Ampeg SVT4Pro Head, an Ampeg SVT Classic 8x10 , with 3 different Ibanez ATK Basses.

     (PH)---You were honestly one of the first bass players that really inspired me other than Jason Newsted. I was starting to play live about the same time Twisted Method was touring Ozzfest. It was great seeing peers I looked up to making such strong waves in the metal scene. What are some of your best memories of those early days?
     
     (DD)---Man, every day made a great new memory for me, during the Ozzfest run. Seriously, waking up everyday to the Second Stage sound engineers blaring Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" got me pumped for the day ahead!  What can I say?  Hanging with people all day, having a good time, getting to play the biggest (at that time) metal tour going..I loved every second of it.

     (PH)---After Twisted Method split, what motivated the start of Makeshift Romeo? That record I still listen to to this day. You guys had a really killer lineup in that band. 

     (DD)---I think the will to carry on making music was really the motivation.  Honestly, when Andy passed, we didn't want to continue in the same line of music we were making.  TM was Andy's legacy, and to try to write along the same lines didn't seem right.  With MSR, we focused on different aspects that we considered strong suits for Tripp, and for the rest of the band that ultimately formed  with myself, Edsel (Dope) and Virus (Device, Dope, Big and Rich, Rock of Ages.)  Definitely more mainstream than TM, but nonetheless we had fun writing and playing the material.





     (PH)---The last time I saw you play was with Ekotren in Springfield Missouri a few years ago. Are you still playing with them? What are you up to these days? Any Future Plans?

     (DD)---Ekotren is still alive; we play from time to time.  We have new songs and are working on others.  Life has thrown us curveballs in recent times, and we are adapting and surviving as we go.  People do want to see Ekotren, and we want to give them that, but Life happens for us all, and we need to deal with it the right way.  I know I'm keeping that kind of vague, but I'm sure everyone out there can relate, (if they think about what that sentence means.)  



     
     (PH)---Thank you so much for your time once again Derek. Good luck with everything in the future.

     (DD)---The pleasure was mine to talk with you, Patrick.  Thanks for reaching out.  All the best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment