Jim Louvau is not only my favorite photographer but he also has fronted some great bands such as TheAttitude and Victims in Ecstasy. He is one of the most inspirational people out there in my opinion. He has photographed everyone from NIN, GNR, and Roger Waters to Black Sabbath. I wanted to upfront give credit to and a thanks to Jim for providing all the photos he has shot for this article. You can check out all his work at Louvau Photography.
Patrick Houtz (PH)---Let's first talk about your photography work. How did you start getting into doing professional photography?
Jim Louvau (JL)---I took a black and white film photography class
my senior year of high school and my teacher would always get upset
with me because all of the assignments I would turn in were of a local
band here in Phoenix called N17. He would tell
me that if I ever wanted a chance to be a professional photographer I
would have to learn how to shoot portraits and subjects other than
bands. Music has always been my passion from the time I could walk and I
always wanted to capture the energy of what I saw
with a camera. At that time I didn't even own a camera I borrowed a
friends dads camera that he hadn't used in years. I completely stopped
shooting when I started Victims In Ecstacy and focused all my time on
the band. Then in 2005 I went out on Warped Tour
with my friends Opiate For the Masses to collect video footage and
document their life on the road. When I wasn't shooting them I was
shooting up and coming bands on the tour like Avenged Sevenfold, My
Chemical Romance, The Transplants, and Billy Idol was on
some dates. I came home from tour with a pretty good portfolio and no
job to come home to. I was broke like every other artist in the world
and I took the first job I could find doing customer service at The
Arizona Republic. After I had been there a little
while I just got on a company directory and found out who the photo
editor was and I picked up the phone and called him. He sorta laughed at
me and told me he was going on vacation but would look at my stuff and
that there were no jobs available. Well after
he got back he blew me off three or four times until I wouldn't take no
for an answer. He finally met with me and he said your stuff is good but
again I can't do anything for you but that I should reach out to the
music department and let them know if anyone
ever cancels or couldn't do an assignment that I was interested. A
couple months went by and someone couldn't shoot an Aerosmith and Motley
Crue show so they called me. I started with that one and then it was
two a month, and then grew to the point I was doing
four a week. The paper put me in front of the biggest acts that came
through town and playing music over the years and making friends with so
many other bands gave me unique opportunities to get access that others
didn't have.
(PH)---Who are some of your favorite bands you have been able to shoot either live or for cover art?
(JL)---Getting the chance to shoot shows like Nine
Inch Nails, Guns N' Roses, Marilyn Manson, and Roger Waters of Pink
Floyd on multiple occasions was pretty amazing as they were all
very influential to me as a kid. As much as I love to shoot
the live stuff album artwork is still the most rewarding as an artist.
My favorite piece to date is still the cover I did for theATTITUDE's
last E.p because I had a very vivid vision of what I wanted and I was
able to execute that image exactly the way I pictured
it in my head.
(PH)---I know you also do some sports photography as well. Is it nice being
able to mix up both music and sports to keep the photography kind of
fresh for yourself?
(JL)---Shooting sports is a whole new world for me and
it's a completely different mindset in some ways to music since it's
very unpredictable in what is going to happen and it's a lot more about
guessing what is going to happen. Being a big
sports fan myself it's quite the rush walking out of the tunnel of
a stadium into full of fans and some of my favorite players.
(PH)---I
listen to your band Victims In Ecstacy still to this day. You guys had a
killer lineup with you, Andy Gerold, and Jim Kaufman. All you guys have
been extremely successful in the music business.
What are some of the best memories playing and touring in the Victims in
Ecstacy days? What were the biggest influences you guys had musically
at that point?
(JL)---Most of
my memories of the V.I.E days aren't really ones I can share but we were
young and wild and that band shaped all of us to move on to the next
musical moments in our lives. It's kinda funny
to look back and remember when Disturbed opened for us or playing with
Linkin Park and touring with Pigface. Andy has felt like a sixth member
of theATTITUDE over the years as he has played on or worked on all of
our records and Jared Bakin has also been in
and out of the band since we started.
(JL)---We spent
most of last year away from playing live and focused more on writing
and making plans for 2014. We have a full record we haven't released yet
and a bunch more remixes to go along with
it that we will put out this year and hopefully do some more touring to
support it. Music is an emotional roller coaster for me and photography
helps me balance the two art forms and keeps me from going crazy.
(JL)---It was really cool playing with Vrenna, we met
through Andy when we were both going through really dark times in our
personal lives and I specifically remember heading to rehearsal with him
and realizing he hadn't played any of the
Nine Inch Nails songs we were covering since he had been in the band he
had to listen to them in headphones to remember the parts. We toured
with Orgy a couple years back so I've played quite a few shows with Jay
Gordon and I actually had to fill in for 5-6
songs for them in Las Vegas last month when his flight was delayed. He
has definitely taken us under his wing. As far a people I've played on
the same shows as Chino Moreno, Chester Bennington, Scott Weiland, and
Johnny Rotten even though I am not a fan.
(JL)---Between photography and theATTITUDE my year will be pretty packed but I'm usually not one to turn down projects of interest.








No comments:
Post a Comment