Thursday, March 6, 2014

Kellii Scott (Faliure, Enemy)



     This interview with drummer Kellii Scott was extremely amazing for me personally. Along with “Nine Inch Nails”, “Failure” was one of the very first bands that really changed how I saw and perceived music. Failure was truly inspiring even before releasing the album “Fantastic Planet” which in my opinion is an untouchable record in the history of music. I really want to thank Kellii for allowing me to do this interview with him. Be sure to catch Failure opening for Tool from March 9th to March 27th 2014. Enjoy it’s a good one! 

 



     Patrick Houtz (PH)---First of all Failure is honestly one of my favorite bands of all time. "Fantastic Planet" is one of the greatest records ever made. What was it like being in Failure at that time? What are some of your best memories of that touring cycle?



     Kellii Scott (KS)---Firstly thank you but honestly it's also one of my favorite bands of all time. I've always considered myself very fortunate to have been placed with such talented and serious minded guys. It is super exciting and the work fulfilling in that it always moves you forward to a place that you know you couldn't have reached by yourself. I've always loved being in groups for that reason and it goes without saying that this particular group left such a impression on the arc of my playing. I would be a far different musician without them. Sorry, I keep talking in the present because I no longer feel a space in our career. These past few months working together again have swallowed the gap between now and then. I feel my fondest memories have always been those moments when we would reach that place musically that we had worked so hard to master. A moment here and there, the magic of looking for a finding a mysterious place where everyone is playing so together and emotionally, those moments are what it’s all about. When you blow yourself away. We are pretty harsh critics of our performances. So those could be few and far between.





     (PH)---How do you look back on that time and the importance that your band had on the music scene. You guys were really doing something that nobody else was.



     (KS)---Well that for me is kind of a weird one. I can't really see myself actually believing such an absurd concept of myself. Maybe, maybe not. I guess whether we have had that sort of effect is probably best left for other people to decide. I know that our music has left a lasting impression on me and honestly a lot of the years we weren't playing together I wished that we were. And as far as doing something no one else was doing, that I agree with. How could we. You can only be who and what you are. If you’re doing it right.






     (PH)---You recently played a show with Failure for the first time in years. How was it and how was the general reaction with the crowd?



     (KS)---We did. It wound up being beyond our expectations on so many levels. Firstly it was super stressful for a few moments at the beginning of the show just because it was really happening and we put on a pretty big production where so many things could have gone wrong. But then it went away and it was just such a rush of, I think everything that feels good about doing what we get to do, all at once for the next hour and thirty minutes. Secondly, there were so many people there that had gotten into our music well after we had split up. It was amazing to see so many new faces. Loved it every moment of it, couldn't have asked for a better first show back.





     (PH)---After Failure you played in the band "Enemy". What do you remember most about that era?

     (KS)---Enemy actually was during and after Failure. Troy and I have always been great buds and or playing together in one way or another. It actually took about ten years to finish that record. Such a great record and Troy is another fine example of the crazy talented people I get to share my life with. Unfortunately as a working band that was very short lived. Maybe a few gigs or so. We still kind of threaten to do another record someday. Funny..



     (PH)---What are the plans for Failure coming up in 2014?



     (KS)---Plans?? All I can. Well will say is..it's going to be filled with all sorts of fun and surprises.. You'll just have to wait and see. I don't want to spoil it for you.

1 comment:

  1. Check out an in-depth audio interview with Kellii Scott of Failure on the Dig Me Out Podcast at http://www.digmeoutpodcast.com/post/109310952501/kellii-scott

    ReplyDelete