Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Marzi Montazeri (Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals, Heavy As Texas)

     Marzi Montazeri is a super gifted guitar player and has played in many great band's over the years. He is a guitar player that as soon as I heard him play, I was completely blown away. Marzi is currently playing guitar for legendary metal front man Phil Anselmo and still remains active in his band "Heavy As Texas". Thank you so much Marzi for taking time to do this interview for me.



     Patrick Houtz (PH)---Marzi you are an incredibly gifted guitar player. What made you realize music was all you wanted to do?

     Marzi Montazeri (MM)---Man I fell in love with Music at a very early age and have known that it was my calling by the time I was 5. I loved what I heard and was waiting to get an opportunity to have a part in it by bringing what I heard in my head to life.

     (PH)---A lot of people don't know this but you recorded the guitar on the demo's for Superjoint Ritual. What was that time in your life like?

     (MM)---And couple of those songs made the first records last two tracks. Well it was fun while it lasted so to speak and I learned from it.



     (PH)---How did playing with Phil Anselmo and the Illegals come about? What are you favorite parts of being in a band with such a great front man?

     (MM)---I contacted Phil in Spring of 2010 and we got going. He recruited Blue to record and I brought in Stephen Taylor to tour. Playing with the greatest metal frontman is awesome.Live It gives you confidence knowing that he is being himself and giving it his all which is all we know how to do as well. At practice the jokes don't stop and in the studio the creativity takes flight by earning wings feather by feather. There's a vibe on that stage that's unmistakable. Same goes for practice and the recording sessions and let's not forget the all important BBQ's. Above all that he is my friend and it's cool to see us work together.

    

     (PH)---What other musical endeavors are you currently involved with?

     (MM)---I have a Southern band based out of Houston called Heavy As Texas which will be recording and touring soon and I'll be doing a solo record in time with some awesome friends on it.

     (PH)---Just for the guitar geek in me. What is your current live rig for Phil Anselmo and the Illegals?

     (MM)---Dual Randall Thrasher rig with 8 Randall cabs.Firebird goes directly in the amp. Only pedal out front is my Wah. In the loop I have a digital delay. Pretty simple.



     (PH)---What is in store for you in 2014?

     (MM)---Looking forward to sitting across from Phil and exchanging ideas. Breaking new ground by sticking to the ol rule of self expression which is be yourself and pay homage instead of copy. A solo record and Tours both with PHA and The Illegals and also Heavy As Texas. Randall amplifiers and I will start working on a signature amp and also Washburn guitars will put out the signature guitar line equipped with signature pickups from Seymour Duncan which is all top secret stuff right now but there's a glimpse for ya. I can't wait to bring more music to life both on record and live and finally to meet the fans in celebration of life and music by touring.

No comments:

Post a Comment