Monday, March 28, 2016

Sean Saley (Drums for The Skull, Teamster, Ex-Pentagram)

     I had the honor this weekend to interview not only one of my favorite drummers but a good friend of mine Sean Saley. Sean currently plays for the incredible band "The Skull" featuring Eric Wagner and Ron Holzner of "Trouble". Before joining "The Skull" Sean spent a couple years playing for "Pentagram" and also kept up playing with his band "Teamster". Sean is a great dude and I want to thank him very much for his time.



Patrick Houtz --- (PH)

Sean Saley --- (SS)

     (PH)--- First of all Sean, what is your first musical memories as a kid? What was it like growing up as Sean Saley?

     (SS)--- It's always something strange with music as a kid. The things you're introduced to, or find, and how it relates- or totally doesn't- to what you gravitate to later. One of my earliest memories is someone giving me a 45 of "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies when I was 4 years old. I remember playing it on a cheap little portable record player. My next memory is probably being in my mom's '70 Dodge Demon and she had an 8 track by a singer named Lee Michaels who had a hit song called "Do You Know What I Mean" that she used to play all the time and I would rock out to. Good times. My parents were hippies and we lived back and forth between San Francisco and Colorado (and a few other places) between '71 and '80, when we moved back to Ohio. In the early 70s I heard a lot of the "hippier" side of things like the Dead, Hot Tuna, Quicksilver Messenger Service, CSNY... but they were also into heavier things like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Mountain, and Atomic Rooster.

I don't really remember what got me into drums other than just liking the sound of them. My mom bought me a kit when I was around 4 or 5, but I rolled the whole thing down a flight of stairs instead of playing them, so that set me back about 10 years, haha.

     (PH)--- I think you are an incredible drummer as you know, what drummers have you always looked up to and that really made an impression on your playing style?

     (SS)--- Well first- thank you! As for drummers and influences, it's kind of a "different people for different things" deal. The funny thing is, as I alluded to earlier, after I pushed my kit down a flight of stairs as a five year old, I didn't get another drum set until I was 14 or 15-- so that's when I really started to play... and, at that time, I was really into hardcore punk. The faster, louder, and more chaotic, the better. So some of my initial influences were the punk drummers that were killing it, like Rat Scabies of the Damned, Lucky Lehrer from Circle Jerks, Earl Hudson of Bad Brains, Chuck Biscuits in DOA, Bill Stevenson of the Descendants/Black Flag/ALL, and John Maher from the Buzzcocks.

As I started getting into more metal and some older stuff as well, I, of course, worshipped at the altar of Bill Ward... but the list of people I've stolen from in one way or another is a mile long, haha. Ian Paice, Bill Bruford, Bobby Caldwell, Peter Moffett, Mikkey Dee, Joe Hasselvander, Clive Burr, Barriemore Barlow... I could go on for quite a while.

Photo Credit; Desert-rock.com

     (PH)--- You joined Pentagram in 2012 I believe. How did that come about for you? How was your initial reaction when you found out you got that gig?

     (SS)--- I found out they were looking for a drummer and got Greg Turley's email address. I dropped him a note to say I was interested in trying out. 26 years before this, Tom Lyle of Government Issue turned me on to the first Pentagram album and I later heard Day of Reckoning and had been a fan since those days, so yeah, I was chomping at the bit to try out. Greg told me they wanted me to learn 4 songs for the audition and I asked if he could send everything they were planning on playing in the set, which turned out to be 15 songs. I showed up for the audition knowing all 15 songs. After my tryout that day, they told me I was in. Naturally, I was stoked. I had a poker face, though. I kept the high pitched girly squeal in my head.

     (PH)--- What are some of your best memories playing with Pentagram? What was it like touring with an interesting front man like Bobby Liebling?

     (SS)--- The first show I played with them was the Sweden Rock festival in June of 2012, in front of about 5,000 people. That was a good start. I remember being more concerned about what Victor thought of how that first show went because he is both a great and passionate musician, but also a fucking human metronome. Victor doesn't play to the drummer- you have to play to Victor. Doing that made me a better musician and also really helped me kind of slow down and learn to player heavier, if that makes sense.

Lots of good memories with Pentagram. We played some great shows and fests and went to so many cool places. I've met a lot of good people and friends through my experiences with them and that stint taught me a lot about touring and the business in general.

Bobby... Yeah man. Wow. Bobby is cool. Uncle Bobby, haha. I both love him and wanted to punch him sometimes. He's a kind, generous, sweet person at heart. We all know about the demons and how they've affected him, but he's a good dude. He can be a lot of fun to be around and to talk with. He's an open book and brutally honest.Touring with him is a trip and it would take a book, man...

Photo Credit: Fuson Photography

     (PH)--- After leaving Pentagram in 2015 you went on to join "The Skull" fronted by one of the best metal vocalist ever in Eric Wagner. Tell me what that transition was like for you. How did the dominoes fall as far as that gig coming about?

     (SS)--- I was still in Pentagram and had just finished recording drum tracks for "Curious Volume", but... we had been having some disagreements on the music and drum parts and all and the tension was getting uncomfortable. In retrospect, I'm sure it could have been worked through with a bit more patience, trust, and open-mindedness on both sides, but oh well- water under the bridge now. So I was kind of feeling on the outs and, like clockwork, I got a message from Ron Holzner saying that Oly had quit The Skull, they had a tour coming up in about two months, and he wanted to know if I might be able to do the tour with them. I saw it as an opportunity to tour with them and, if things went well, maybe just stay with The Skull-- and that's pretty much how things ended going down.

     (PH)--- Playing in "The Skull" you not only get to play with Eric Wagner but also Ron Holzner from Trouble as well. You still do a lot of killer Trouble songs in the live set for "The Skull". What are some of your personal favorite Trouble songs to play live? Was there any song's that when you went to learn them were a lot harder to get down then you thought they would be?

     (SS)--- What's insane about all this is that, after having been a Pentagram fan for over 25 years and then finding myself playing with them, I had the bizarre luck to sort of relive the experience. In 1990, when the self-titled Trouble album on Def American came out, I got a copy of it and totally wore it out. Absolutely loved it. So again, around 25 years later, I end up playing with Eric and Ron from Trouble. So weird. As fas as playing Trouble songs live, of course it's a blast. I love the original material we do as The Skull, but it rules playing great songs you grew up with. I really like playing Revelation, The Tempter... Plastic Green Head is fun to play. We're going to be playing some songs at Roadburn I'm really psyched to do like Victim of the Insane, Fall of Lucifer, Endtime, and Wickedness of Man. Those last two have been a challenge to learn... Not so much the drumming itself. I'm pretty good at mimicking and adding my own vibe to it, but more the sheer number of parts and transitions. Just memorizing all that shit.

     (PH)--- What has the touring experience been like so far with "The Skull"? How big of a difference has it been for you touring in the states versus overseas with these group of guys?

     (SS)--- It's been pretty cool. The single most important thing on any tour- in any band- is how well you get along with your bandmates and that compromises have to be made and respect for each other has to be ever present... When it's not, people become babies and assholes, and nobody wants that. I get along really well with all these guys and, generally speaking, we're all similarly minded people. On the music end, we've had to work hard to be tight and gel as a band because we've had three tours with three guitarists. Lothar Keller is always there, of course, but we had Matt Goldsborough on the first tour, Willie Max on the second, and now we have Rob Wrong (also of Witch Mountain)-- and it's really coming together live now. Rob and Lothar are an absolutely sick team and I'm proud to have them as the guitarists in the band I play in.

The tours have been great! No tour is ever 100% puppies and rainbows and cocaine and hookers, but we've played a ton of great shows for some super hardcore fans- and that's what it's really all about. Europe, as is typical for rock and metal bands, tends to be a little better in some ways. Not so much as fans go... Audiences are equally enthusiastic in the US as in Europe. It's more that the distances are generally shorter, the hospitality and food are generally better, and sometimes the money is, too. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm ecstatic to play anywhere, anytime.. Particularly if the show has actually been promoted, haha.

     (PH)--- You guys just put out an EP recently. The song "The Longing" is incredibly well written and your drumming is spot on. How much did it mean to you personally to have your imprint as a drummer not only on that song but also the cover of "The Skull" by Trouble. It has to be a great feeling for you.

     (SS)--- It's funny- the vinyl version of the EP just came out.. Though the vinyl is a 7" single with just The Longing on one side and The Skull on the other whereas the CD version has bonus tracks. But it just occurred to a couple days ago that the vinyl single is the first time in my whole life where a VINYL record has come out where I am the drummer on the whole thing! I've been recording since 1982 and, to this point, everything I've ever done has been released as a CD or cassette -- or vinyl -- but all vinyl has been either compilation albums or records where I'm not the only drummer. I've had bands that released full albums on CD, but not vinyl. So it was nice to get the whole "plastic record with me as the drummer on the whole thing" out of the way, even if it's only two songs, haha.

But anyway, yeah, really proud of "The Longing", in particular. That started as couple riffs and some lyrics that Eric came up with years ago, and we essentially reworked it into a new song that has only a slight resemblance to what it started as. A really great group effort and a good, catchy-but-heavy song. I'm also really happy with the recording, Quentin at Gunpoint got us some great sounds. The drums are very natural and real sounding- not all slappy and digital- and the band sounds like it could all be playing in the same room at the same time (and I assure you- we were not, haha.)



     (PH)--- After getting back from Europe very recently, what is the upcoming plans for "The Skull"?

     (SS)--- Going right back! We're heading to Roadburn for two sets in April. We are headlining the main stage on Friday, April 15th, playing a special set of Trouble songs from the Metal Blade years. Then we follow with about a week and a half of dates in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Then we head back again in June for Hellfest!

In the second half of the year, we may be doing another American tour. I've heard rumblings but nothing is firmly nailed down, to my knowledge. I'm hoping we're going to concentrate on getting a full length album recorded by the end of the year... Or at least have a good headstart on it.

     (PH)--- Jumping back just a little. You have been playing for the DC band "Teamster" for quite awhile. For the readers out there kind of give us some background with that project. What is going on with "Teamster" currently and what do you have on that plate coming up?

     (SS)--- Teamster just played last night here in Washington DC. It was great! We had a good crowd and people were going off! The band has been together since around the end of 2011 and we don't play a ton of shows, but it's fucking fun when we do! Teamster keeps my hardcore roots alive. We play fast, heavy hardcore along the lines of some of the classic NYHC bands like Cro Mags and Agnostic Front. Check out our facebook page at facebook.com/teamsterdchc

     (PH)--- Last question. What advice can you give to people who wan't to be in a touring band? What are the most important thing's to keep in mind if this is something you really want to do with your life?

     (SS)--- If you want any tour to go as smoothly as it can and be the most fun it can, the number one rule in my book is respect each other and learn to compromise. Don't be a dick. You can be a loner, you can disagree, but don't be a dick. You have to get along with a group of people in tight spaces, sometimes without a lot of sleep, in shitty conditions, during interminable rides, and sometimes the rewards won't be as good as you want them to be. Other times, they'll exceed your expectations... But the point is, give a little. Don't trash people who are there for you- whether they work the venue, are fans, or are fellow bands you're playing with. I'm not above making a little fun here and there, but there's a difference between that and being meanspirited or acting like a douchebag. The other important rule is play the music right. Know your parts and do your best to execute them. It makes a big difference to people watching you, whether they realize it or not. Anyone who is even a half decent musician can tour and have a great time doing it. Just plan as carefully as you can- plan, plan, plan- and, again, above all, be as accommodating and patient as you can toward your mates and with challenges that come up. Letting shit roll off your back goes a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment