Monday, November 16, 2015

Wes Geer (Hed P.E., Korn, Rock to Recovery)


     

     I actually conducted this interview in July of 2014. Due to some issues, I was not able to get it out until now. Wes Geer is not only the found member of rock act Hed PE but he also spent several years touring as the live guitar player for the band Korn. Most importantly Wes founded Rock to Recovery. Here is some information from their site for those who don't know anything about the program and I also am gonna post links to check out the website at the end of the interview.

     "Rock to Recovery was created to help sooth the restless souls of those in recovery. We do this by creating a "band" and writing and recording songs together with Rock to Recovery's staff of professional musicians, who are also in recovery. We help bring fun into treatment and recovery by offering a natural escape from the fear-based mind. This helps people grow a sense of belonging and self esteem. We help to vent emotions by writing lyrics and singing together for release, in real-time. We tie a positive theme of hope in recovery throughout the whole process. When the session is done, our "band" members feel a new energy all throughout their minds and spirits."

     Hope everyone enjoys the interview.

     Patrick Houtz (PH)--- First, lets talk about your first band Hed P.E. How did the band come together? What memories really stand out for you during that time of your life?

     Wes Geer (WG)--- Hed P.E. came together when I saw Jahred in a club and he was intense and owning the stage, the crowd. I knew that was the type of singer I wanted to work with. He was much more intense than my prior band, and that's the way I wanted to head. From there he and I just started trying to figure out what direction to go. That was really hard....we pulled in members from both our previous bands, and our bud Chad....but we were looking for our sound. We loved old school music like Al Green, Sly and the Family Stones, but loved heavy shit....and hip hop....then it was gangster rap....we're west coast ya know...but one day we were really lit up and went to see the Beastie Boys, Rage, and Cypress Hill and then it all kind of made sense. We wanted to combine those styles...intense heavy grooves, funkiness (without being RHCP sounding) a little gangster and some punk....at that time no one we knew was doing it...I coined the term G-punk to help describe and market our music early on, coming from P-funk....and I decided to get a DJ to be different and add analog samples...again no one I knew had a DJ. I never heard of Bizkit, Deftones weren't touring w a DJ, we played w Incubus they didn't, Linkin Park wasn't a band yet that I knew of....


     (WG)--- Memories I remember were the first time I ever left the country, and I remember playing Ozzfest in the UK to 80k people and going (humbly) holy shit I wrote this song, we got here, we are fucking playing to the hugest crowd ever and there are about 10k people bouncing up n down....surreal.

     (PH)--- Can you tell me about how you determined you wanted to start "Rock to Recovery"? How much does it mean to you to be able to help out with people battling addiction? 

     (WG)--- As far as Rock to Recovery starting it goes like this....for a long time I was a crazy drunken partier...I had fun, then it started getting really ugly, dangerous, people were getting hurt, I was killing myself...it was bad. So I HAD to get sober or die, or even worse live a hideous miserable life...so once I got sober and life got good, really fucking good man, I got the gig w Korn, I was doing better than ever....I decided I wanted to give back. I didn't want my 'legacy' to be 'Oh yah, Wes Geer, that guy was a MESS, played guitar pretty good though.......I decided I wanted to leave this planet someday knowing I had given back...maybe even leave something that can still give after I'm gone....So I asked God, the Universe, that great big energy we all connect to 'What can I do with 'me', my talents, to help people. Let's see I'm an alkie/drug addict, sober and play music.....and then it came to me...divine inspiration....I will go into treatment centers and write songs with those newly sober because I know what it feels like in those early days....detoxing, hell, no escape....Music is the medicine!
     
     (PH)--- Do you have any music plans coming up in 2014?

     (WG)--- Hmmm 2014 in my head is nearing close. I'm obsessed with R2R, we are really growing and Im stoked...there are some things in the works....some collabs with some of my really cool friends. I actually had JC and Sluggo reach out to me about work with them on Killbot, I really wanted to do it....but I was too friggin busy man....so next phase is I WILL do some more music. I have a goal to do an artist record, of my music for me....and if people listen, cool.
     (PH)--- You have seen a lot over your time in the music industry im sure. What advice do you have for kids and teenagers on how to not go down the wrong road and to just focus on their passions?

     (WG)--- If you go into music, you have to be obsessed. You have to do it 24/7. There are so many talented people out there, but now you have to rules the social media and self marketing is king. You cant do it expecting anything, you need to do it because you cant live without doing it....other wise you probably wont get to far....and don't do it for the money because its harder and harder to make money these day, long term. Im not talking a little money, but lifestyle long term career money, that is hard to sustain.

     (PH)--- This question is strictly for me. What is your ideal live rig for guitars and amps?

     (WG)--- Well the rig depends on for what Im doing....so Korn was a dual rectifier, some TC pedals G system, vintage analog pedals, whammy wah delay for sure....for Hed it was Marshall Jubilees and pedals of course.....now a days believe it or not, I love my little 10w fender with reverb, turn it all the way up, but the gain all the way down, reverb up high and my 69 les paul deluxe with mini humbuckers....im in chill jazzy bluesy mode and loving it...seriously...SO.OVER.METAL. Done it long and hard with the best of 'em, now I like melody a bit more than destruction.....I love AC30TB, vintage boutique pedals, Black keys, Jack white tones....fun shit!

     (PH)--- I want to thank Wes again for agreeing to do this interview. I really respect and back what he is doing with Rock to Recovery. Here is a cool video link for the program and a link for the official website.


No comments:

Post a Comment