Monday, February 17, 2014

Brian Waddell (Devin Towsend Project)

     Brian Waddell is the amazing bass player for the "Devin Townsend Project". He is a talent that I feel deserves a lot of attention and that I really look up to. Enjoy!



     Patrick Houtz (PH)---So first of all how did you get involved playing with The Devin Townsend Project?

 
     Brian Waddell (BW)---I have known Devin since high school and we were always pretty good friends so we just decided we should start a band just cause it would be fun to play together, and somehow it turned into what it has become. 

     (PH)---He is an incredible guitar player, whats it like playing with him on a musical level?

     (BW)---I was just telling him the other day it's still intimidating at times, with all the guys in the band, they are all top notch players that take it seriously. But it's amazing to be part of something that can really mean something musically. So I would have to say its awesome! 
 
     (PH)---What kind of basses and amps do you use currently live with the The Devin Townsend Project?

     (BW)---Currently I am using Warwick basses, two of the chrome tone streamers and a neck through thumb bass. Very good instruments. And for an amp I am running Gallien Krueger 2001 rb, they are devastating! With a 4 x10 cab. 


     (PH)---Do you have any other musical projects going on currently?

     (BW)---I have a side band called Evenlight but I don't really take it seriously. Hoping to do a new record with that soon though. 

     (PH)---Of everywhere you have toured what are your favorite countries to visit outside the United States?

     (BW)---Well Australia is pretty amazing, and I have a soft spot for the Netherlands as well. Love it there! 

     (PH)---Being a bass player I was curious if you had any advice about really reaching true potential as a player?

     (BW)---Well it's funny because I am originally a guitar player, but switched to bass a couple years ago. I'd say that was a major lesson about how all the instruments truly work together and fit properly. Was very difficult to make the switch actually and I think it's taken until just recently where I feel like a true bass player. I have been getting lessons lately and finding that just doing warm up exercises to a click is a pretty good one that gets overlooked. Plus really paying attention to both left and right hands and make sure that you are really using proper technique. Many years of bad habits I'm trying to overcome at the moment. Hah!


No comments:

Post a Comment