Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Connor Garritty (Singer for All Hail the Yeti and Owner/Tattoo artist at Timeless Tattoo in Los Angeles)

     Connor Garritty is the singer for the incredible metal band All Hail The Yeti. AHTY are a band I was introduced to about four years ago and they are still continuing to make waves in the musical community. In the last couple of years AHTY have toured with acts such as "In This Moment" and "Hollywood Undead" and have showed why they are a force to be reckoned with. Connor also is the Owner and a Tattoo artist at Timeless Tattoo. He is one of my favorite metal vocalist as well as tattoo artist, hope you enjoy the interview.


     Patrick Houtz (PH)---Connor I appreciate you taking some time to do this interview for me. I know right now “All Hail the Yeti” is out with In This Moment making waves. How has opening for them been for you guys as a band?

     Connor Garritty (CG)---This tour has been amazing for us. Every night the places are packed and we get to play our music to so many people that have never heard AHTY. Couldn't be happier. Itms (In This Moment’s) whole camp, band and crew are like family to us. They have taken us in and treated us like gold. We love them.

    (PH)---All Hail the Yeti I discovered after talking with Glendon Crain when he was touring with Hollywood Undead a few years ago. I think The EP you did as well as the full length album are purely amazing. What bands influence you in writing for All Hail The Yeti? To me I hear hints of Down, Eyehategod, and even some new Waitain.

     (CG)---There are so many different types of influences for us. When I started the band I wanted to have elements of those southern metal bands, but also add other things in there as well. Obviously it's hard for any band these days to not be influenced by Pantera, Black Sabbath etc. I listen to such a wide spectrum of music that there is probably a bit of everything in there. But definitely, Down, eyehategod, Acid Bath, Watain, Witchcraft, COC, I could go on for hours.

     

     (PH)---What is the future this year for All Hail the Yeti? Any plans of touring after this touring run with In This Moment?

     (CG)---Honestly right now we have a couple different offers for some tours, not sure if they will work for us or not. We have been working on new songs so that is a big priority for us right now. We want to have an arsenal of new music so when it's time to do the new record we are prepared for it.

     (PH)--- Besides music you are an incredible tattoo artist. How long have you been doing tattoos? I imagine it's nice to have more than one creative outlet for yourself but how do you manage to split time between your shop and the road?

     (CG)---I have been tattooing for about 16 years. I really couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. It's been a part if my life for so long now. To be able to be working with my hands as well as being artistic is great. It's a lot like making music really. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from work to go on the road and play music. I end up missing it quickly. Fortunately tattooing and metal go hand in hand.


     (PH)--- My two favorite songs off of your full length are probably "When the Sky Falls" and "After the great Fire". What is behind both of those songs? I honestly really enjoy the lyrics to both as well as the music.

     (CG)---When the sky falls has been interpreted different ways. Some people read it and come up with their own interpretation of what it's about. That was a big reason why we didn't put the lyrics in the booklet. We wanted to give the listener a chance to make their own story. How the song and words make each person feel is always going to be different. Sky falls is definitely a love song. It was written about the day I met my wife in Australia. After the Great Fire is a whole other monster. This is a story about a mental asylum run by catholic nuns. These women have devised a plan to get rid of the problem kids in the children's ward to collect the government money. They lock the children in their ward at night and set it on fire. Well in doing so they end up burning the entire building to the ground. Killing themselves  as well. Many years later the building is alive with the ghosts of vengeful children and guilt ridden women.

     (PH)--- What are your favorite songs to play live

     (CG)---I would say suicide woods and after the great fire. Deep creek is fun as well. Thanks again man! Anytime!!


No comments:

Post a Comment