Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Drew Roulette "A true artist and bass bad ass"

     Drew Roulette is one of my favorite artist on the planet. His work to me is very inspiring. He also plays bass in the band "Dredg". "Dredg" have been one of my favorite band's for about 6 years. Drew is definitely an extremely talented guy.


  
     Patrick Houtz (PH)---Drew you are an incredible artist. How did you first get into art and what age did you really know that it's something you could see yourself doing as a career?


     Drew Roulette (DR)---I started drawing when i was a young child. and my parents and friends started encouraging me, saying "wow, those are great drawings." so i kept at it. When i got into my art class in sixth grade is when i noticed that i was a little more "advanced" then the other students. So i kept drawing and haven't stopped yet.Though i never made a decision to make it a "career" i have always remained passionate about my art and consider it as my favorite pastime.

 
     (PH)---How did Dredg come about, when do you guys know you had something special?

     (DR)--We all met when we were young kids. I met Mark on my Pony baseball team in 8th grade. I met Dino in my Spanish class in high school and Gavin in my art class in high school. we all had similar tastes in music so we started jamming together after school and on the weekends. every summer we would record a couple songs at a local studio. Towards the end of high school we stared playing a lot of shows, local and up and down the west coast. It wasn't until we started gaining a fan base that we started to think, "hmmm, we could maybe make this a regular thing." Though we always knew we were creating unique music.

     (PH)---Do you consider yourself more of an artist or a musician?

     (DR)---I consider myself an artist first. musician second. Though i am always learning something new in both fields. I am more passionate about my art and i get more involved in the creative process, maybe because it is a solo effort. 
 
     (PH)---To answer my own personal curiosity, what gear did you use live when playing with Dredg, I am mostly curious about the basses and amps that you used? 

     (DR)---I have always used ampeg gear when it comes to amplification. A 8 by 10 cab with a SVT 2 head. Mostly using Ernie Ball Music Man 5 string basses over the years. but recently bought a Marcus Miller Jazz 4 string Fender. I also use a Moog Little Fatty onstage and when recording. 

     (PH)---What is your favorite type of art to do?

     (DR)---Recently my favorite art to do has been my "Whimsical Transychedelia" style. i love vibrant colors and dark and iconic imagery.

     (PH)---What does 2014 hold for Dredg as well as your own art?

     (DR)---In 2014 dredg will be doing a short tour overseas playing our older records in full. el cielo and catch without arms. we will be traveling to England, Austria, Russia, Turkey and Germany. that is probably all for 2014. we MIGHT start writing for a new record but no rush for dredg. the time off right now feels good. as for my art, i will do as i always have, and that is to keep painting, keep creating. A lot of canvases. I am also working on a short picture book titled "There was an old lady who smoked some pot." I hope to have that finished by winter. I am also working with my friends at PermaGrin films on Two short films, one stop motion film titled "We are all puzzled" and one about a child's imagination running wild. 

    (DR)---Thanks for the interest Patrick. 
Check out Art Work to buy by Drew Roulette at www.drewroulette.com.



1 comment:

  1. Love Drew, Love Dredg. I hope that MIGHT turns into a WILL though!

    ReplyDelete